Developing a network of collection points for beverage containers made of PET, can and glass
Cabo de Gata-Níjar Natural Park-UNESCO Global Geopark, SPAIN
This is a measure designed to establish a network of collection points for beverage containers made of PET and aluminium. Reverse vending machines will be installed at the natural park with the aim of enhancing awareness and promote behavioural change of locals and tourists with regard to the appropriate disposal of beverage containers. Beverage containers made of PET and aluminium are among the most frequently found items at the coastline of the Natural Park of Cabo de Gata-Níjar and their reduction has been identified as a priority action within the park’s Marine Litter Action Plan.
Lines of action:
- Assess the beverage-containers-related waste management at the Natural Park of Cabo de Gata-Níjar;
- Define the operational and logistics requirements for the establishment of a network of collection points for beverage containers made of PET and aluminium;
- Install reverse vending machines in selected sites;
- Carry out public awareness-raising activities and develop tailored-made communication materials.
- Enhanced awareness of local communities and visitors about the marine litter issue and related solutions;
- Enhanced knowledge about the beverage-containers-related waste management (sources, collection, sorting, disposal, etc.);
- Reduced amount of beverage containers found on the coastline of the Natural Park of Cabo de Gata-Níjar.
- Number of beverage containers collected and recycled;
- Number of businesses involved;
- Number of reverse-vending-machine-related vouchers used;
- Number of individuals reached.
- Cabo de Gata-Níjar Natural Park-UNESCO Global Geopark
Plastic Busters MPAs coordinating partner:
- Citizens and beach goers;
- Local authorities;
- NGOs and associations;
- Tourism and maritime businesses;