The key actors of the Plastic Busters share their reflections and aspirations for this initiative in a short film released in March 2018. The film depicts the priority actions needed to tackle marine litter in the Mediterranean. The Plastic Busters initiative was labelled under the Union for the Mediterranean in 2016, capturing the political support of 43 Euro Mediterranean countries.
The Plastic Busters MPAs deploys the multidisciplinary strategy and common framework of action developed within the Plastic Busters initiative and it is expected to deliver improved knowledge, methods and tools towards achieving good environmental status in the Mediterranean.
The Plastic Busters MPAs will be a concrete showcase of the main lines of action of the broader initiative which focus on:
– Defining and testing harmonized methodologies for marine litter monitoring.
– Assessing marine litter impacts on biodiversity dwelling in MPAs
– Identifying marine litter hotspots in MPAs
– Demonstrating marine litter prevention and mitigation measures
– Building capacities and transferring knowledge on marine litter issues
– Setting up a joint governance plan for managing marine litter in pelagic and coastal MPAs
Watch the Plastic Busters film here and spread the message for a litter-free Mediterranean!