What we do
Plastic Busters MPAs provides a comprehensive, multifaceted and coordinated approach to fight marine litter in Mediterranean coastal and marine protected areas towards healthy marine ecosystems.
Plastic Busters MPAs’ main lines of action focus on:
· Defining and testing harmonized methodologies for monitoring marine litter: Plastic Busters MPAs will elaborate a harmonized approach for monitoring macro- and micro-litter in Mediterranean pelagic and coastal MPAs, based on recent scientific and policy advances.
· Assessing the marine litter impacts on biota dwelling in MPAs: The harmonized methodologies for marine litter monitoring will be tested in selected sites and the results will feed into a comprehensive diagnostic analysis of the impacts of marine litter on biodiversity and endangered species in Med MPAs.
· Identifying marine litter hotspots in MPAs: Plastic Busters MPAs will develop a forecasting model to identify marine litter hotspots in Mediterranean MPAs. The model will provide valuable information to support targeted marine litter prevention and mitigation actions in the most affected Mediterranean MPAs.
· Showcasing marine litter prevention and mitigation measures: Plastic Busters MPAs will set-up and implement at least 10 marine litter demonstration projects in pilot MPAs. The demos will showcase MPA-relevant marine litter measures and the learned lessons will be captured in a set of comprehensive guidelines to support replication actions.
· Building capacities and transferring knowledge on marine litter issues: Plastic Busters MPAs will implement fit-for-purpose knowledge transfer, capitalization and replication mechanisms to create a truly enabling environment for concrete, effective and continuous actions against marine litter in a network of Mediterranean MPAs.
· Setting up a joint governance plan for managing marine litter in pelagic and coastal MPAs: The project will mainstream its results and ensure their uptake via a joint governance plan for managing marine litter in pelagic and coastal MPAs. The plan will consolidate the knowledge gained throughout the life-cycle of the project and will empower MPA managers, decision makers and other stakeholders to undertake coordinated and targeted actions against marine litter.